top of page

A Note About COVID-19

healthy youth2.jpeg

As of May 1st, in accordance with the Joint Public Health Order 2020-05 issued by Summit County, Big Canyon has to cancel all existing camp reservations through July 1st 2020.  We are still holding out hope that camps and retreats may be allowed to continue in some capacity beginning again in July.  We will update this notice as we get more information from our county officials.  

We are still taking new bookings for the fall and beyond, and our board has authorized some temporary new measures to take some of the financial risk off of you and your ministry organization:

  • If the local authorities still have restrictions in place during your scheduled event, we will release you from your contract with no financial penalties.  If you have made a "non-refundable" deposit, that deposit can be returned to you, or preferably, applied toward your next event with us.

  • We will not be requiring the normal "guaranteed minimum" number of guests, although a reasonable minimum may still be necessary.  We can discuss on a case by case basis.

  • If you decide to cancel your reservation out of an abundance of caution, even though government restrictions have been lifted,  normal contractual obligations may still apply unless we can reschedule your event.

  • We are asking that decisions regarding "go/no-go" be made (either by Big Canyon or the group) as late as possible, but no less than 2 weeks prior to the scheduled arrival.  If government restrictions are announced to extend into your scheduled event, then a cancellation can be made at that time. 

  • When we do resume hosting events, we will of course be taking a number of extra precautions (along with your assistance) to ensure we protect the health of our guests to the greatest extent possible.  Some of these precautions will include:


  • Health screening of all guests and leaders both pre-arrival (at home) and upon arrival at camp (by us or you), including temperature and symptoms check.

  • Widespread availability of hand sanitizers in all sleeping, dining, & meeting areas.

  • Daily cleaning and disinfection of these same areas.

  • Extensive disinfection between groups of all surfaces in sleeping, dining/meeting, and bathroom areas.  Including mattresses, light switches, doorknobs, counters, toilets, tables, chairs, etc.

  • Constant monitoring of BCR staff health, including isolation if necessary.

  • Immediate, sensitive, and loving isolation and returning to home of any leader or camper with symptoms.

  • Changes to our cooking, prep, and serving procedures.


The bottom line for us is that we very much consider ourselves partners in ministry with you.  Even though cancellations this summer could have severe financial effects on Big Canyon, we value our long-term relationship with you and share your concern for the health of those you serve.  We also want to support your front-lines ministry as much as we possibly can.  That is why we want to do everything we can to take the financial risk off of you.  All we ask is that you join us in holding on to hope as long as we possibly can that camps can still happen this summer.    Please stay in contact with us if you have any updates, and we will do the same.

bottom of page